Why we like it
- It is one of the most celebrated and admired Grand Hotels in the world and is the essence of timeless elegance. The clientele is almost exclusively international, tasteful and extremely sophisticated.
- Sipping tea or an aperitif on the lakeshore in the shade of the large plane tree is sheer bliss. So, too, is sunbathing beside the floating swimming pool. All in utter peace, as time passes slowly, in a dreamy setting. Experiencing joy and precious emotions.
- You can take a motorboat from the private jetty and go to Bellagio, or the many other destinations with gardens and villas to visit.
- Strolling in the grounds, stopping to contemplate the Mosaic, reading under the immortal gaze of Hercules...
The architecture of the residence has the classic elegance of the villas that adorn the shores of Lake Como, the most romantic setting in the world. In the evocative surroundings of Cernobbio, Villa d’Este faces directly onto the lake and is surrounded by grounds containing a magnificent example of an Italian-style renaissance garden, which is a national heritage site. Constructed in 1568 as the summer residence of Tolomeo Gallio, a rich cardinal with a passion for art, it remained in the family’s possession for more than two centuries. Purchased by Carolina of Brunswick, Princess of Wales and bride of King George IV of England in 1800, it was subsequently converted into a luxury hotel and holiday destination for the cream of European aristocracy, and was an unmissable stop-off on the Grand Tour. Today, after more than 140 years in its role as a hotel, Villa d'Este continues to be a favourite haunt of royalty, Hollywood and music stars, and all those who love the art de vivre. Because, more than a hotel, Villa d’Este is a destination, more than an old palace it is a tradition, and more than a place, it is a legend. Sumptuous salons with decorated ceilings, stuccoes, arches, and Murano chandeliers. Fine furnishings and valuable decorations and antiques in the common areas and in the rooms are exhibited as authentic works of art. The renovation works and the high-tech innovations respect the elegance of the settings and offer timeless luxury. Hence, Villa d’Este is a dreamy place, certainly… but at the cutting edge!
- Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este, every year in May.
- Villa d'Este Wine Symposium, every year in November.
Rooms and Equipment
- 152 rooms and 2 private villas in the grounds.
- 9 meeting rooms that can accommodate from 10 to 250 people.
- 3 Restaurants (La Veranda, Il Grill, Il Platano) and 3 Bars (Pool Bar, Canova Bar with lakeside terrace and D’Este Club).
- Beauty Centre.
- Heated swimming pool floating in the lake.
- Sporting Club with indoor pool, tennis courts, electronic golf, squash and all water sports, Fitness Room, sauna and Turkish bath.
- Golf courses in the vicinity.
- Parking and garage.
- Business centre.
- Gift shop, jeweller’s, beauty salon, fashion boutiques.