Why we like it
- At the start of the 1900s, it was a favourite haunt of celebrities setting off from Genoa on a transatlantic crossing, or returning from one. Memories of travelling is a recurring theme in this hotel, evoking images of faraway places and making you dream with your eyes open;
- The view of the port and the city from the seventh-floor terrace, especially at sunset, are images that will lodge in your heart. And they are all the more enjoyable when sipping a leisurely cocktail;
- It has preserved all the charm of the history it has lived through, and of the illustrious personalities who have stayed there. Even though it has been completely refurbished, it still exudes an air of late-nineteenth-century Belle Époque;
- Dining in Salgari Restaurant is a must: its atmosphere is refined and elegant and its fish dishes really do taste of the sea.
The construction of Grand Hotel Savoia was ordered in 1897 by Federico Fioroni - founder and first president of the Italian Association of Hoteliers. Nestled in a historic building facing Piazza Principe, Grand Hotel Savoia is an icon of quintessential sophisticated hospitality, and ever since it was opened, throughout the course of its glorious history, this five-star has welcomed members of noble families, royalty from Italy and the rest of Europe, political figures and illustrious characters. Today it is part of the Planetaria Hotels collection and, after meticulous refurbishment in 2008 combining traditional Ligurian elements such as the flooring and furniture with furnishings and decorative elements evoking the magic of travelling, it maintains intact all the charm of its past. From the common areas to the rooms, the atmosphere laden with the adventure and suspense of a transatlantic voyage is felt everywhere: vintage prints of far-off places, postcards from the Genoa of old, travel trunks containing mementos of exotic journeys. And the drapery, parquet fabrics, marbles and glass mosaics. All inspired by the Belle Époque. In addition to the SPA and the renowned Restaurant, there is a jewel of a terrace on the seventh floor, with a view dominating the Port and the city.
Executive Chef: Carlos Menini
RISTORANTE SALGARI – GRAND HOTEL SAVOIA
Ristorante Salgari is the perfect setting for dining as you immerse yourself in the real atmosphere of Genoa!
The furnishings, the ambience, the décor and the details: everything here breathes the history and flavours of the sea and the adventures of the pirates that fed the dreams of the author Salgari and all his readers!
Genoa was crying out for a restaurant like this: the gastronomy here is capable of conveying much more than the flavours and aromas of the dishes. The attention and the passion that Chef Carlos Menini dedicates to the preparation of every single dish with fresh fish, chosen personally every morning in the main fish markets of the port of Genoa, conquer the palates of diners and transport them, as if by magic, into the tales that the entire restaurant inspires.
Ristorante Salgari is an ideal location for unforgettable dinners with friends or family, for business or private events and for ceremonies. In summer you can enjoy the Chef’s specialities comfortably seated in the open air on the seventh-floor panoramic terrace, basking in the magnificent vista.
Rooms and Equipment
- Rooms: 117 divided into three types, Classic, De-luxe, 2 Junior Suites, 2 Suites, each different from the others.
- Trattoria Tralalero Restaurant: classic Genoese cuisine;
- Salgari Restaurant: elegant and romantic fish restaurant;
- Panoramic Terrace: on the seventh floor, a multi-purpose area providing the perfect ambience for Events of all kinds with a splendid vista of Genoa;
- Pirate Garden; -
“La Spiaggia Segreta” SPA;
- Fitness Centre;
- Panoramic solarium on the seventh floor;
- Event areas: 6 meeting rooms holding up to 200 people;
- Free Wi-Fi;
- Parking and porter service