Why we like it
• It is a Grand Hotel. It is elegant, discreet and contemporary. Its warm, natural colours; the refinement and prestige of the furnishings and the materials. The sensation of being in an exclusive Hotel that would belong in any city in the world;
• It boasts one of the largest and most prestigious Suites in Italy, the Katara Suite: 1000 m2 and a private SPA. A Suite that perfectly incarnates the concept of luxury in all its nuances. Your every wish comes true here. Even those of the most exacting guests;
• The Restaurant offers delicious and extravagant proposals at any time. But the delicacies displayed in the Light corner for the morning breakfast, which cannot be found elsewhere, are a delight to behold; for the eyes, for the figure and for the palate.
• The Spa and Fitness zone: 1000 m2 spread over the sixth and seventh floors. Working out or letting yourself be pampered become moments of restorative pleasure in a setting you never want to leave.
Opened in 1932 under the name "Palazzo Gallia", it immediately became one of the most prestigious hotels in Milan. After extensive and expensive refurbishment of its architecture and interior design, the hotel reopened in 2015 under the Luxury Collection brand by Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Today the Excelsior Gallia consists of two buildings, the historic edifice that has been completely renovated, and a new modern wing, the façade of which recalls an ethereal curtain in steel and glass. This surprising juxtaposition was inspired by the hotel’s illustrious past and the emerging skyline of the Porta Nuova district, one of the hot spots of pulsating Milan. Excelsior Gallia has a regal bearing; it is a true Grand Hotel. Its charisma can seduce the most demanding globetrotter. It has a sober and discreet character, in line with the Milanese style. The hotel’s interiors are joined by bright monumental portals made in black glass and metal. All around there is spaciousness, lighting effects, contrasting shades of marble, and transparent etched glass. Art Deco furnishings beautifully made by top Italian designers and craftsmen. The firm of architect Marco Piva, which conceived and supervised the entire project, also produced a unique collection of works of art: more than 500 items, counting sculptures, paintings and photographs, displayed in strategic parts of the hotel, public areas and suites. The original magnificent marble staircase lies just beyond the lobby, which welcomes guests almost in an embrace. It harks back to the Belle Époque architectural style of hotels of the past, and today it fits in harmoniously with the aesthetics and contemporary features of its new look.
Vincenzo e Antonio Lebano, with the support of 3 Michelin Starred Chefs Enrico and Roberto Cerea
Offer the Milanese crowd a breath-taking location and a unique culinary experience, through a menu focused on traditional Italian cuisine, with a contemporary flavour, and created under the consultancy of Cerea Brothers.
Terrazza Gallia Restaurant
Terrazza Gallia is a glamour and versatile location where to indulge in a gastronomic offering with the finest Italian ingredients and an innovative presentation, admiring striking design with the greatest attention to detail, for a true Made in Italy experience. It’s ideal also for savouring signature cocktails from a unique viewpoint over Milan and for planning events in style on the terrace at the 7th floor or in the private Maserati Room. To get a pre-taste of our new restaurant concept, Terrazza Gallia offers, especially for the aperitif, a selection of trendy new cocktails, all presented by the hotel's team of professional mixologists and paired to small delicious bites. In addition to that there’s the gem of the all-day dining service, the Business Lunch, a 2 courses formula created with the very best of Italian products.
To start the day in the very best way, explore this restaurant on the ground floor at the hotel and enjoy a delicious breakfast buffet with the best Italian coffee, an array of detox smoothies and juices, alongside a delectable selection of oven-baked pastries produced in the hotel bakery. At guests’ disposal there’s also a chef who cooks their favourite egg dish on the spot.
Gallia Lounge & Bar
Refined and informal at the same time, the Gallia Lounge & Bar offers a dining option for every occasion: in the morning is a classic Italian bar for a coffee; at lunch time is ideal for a quick lunch and in the evening the aperitif is just as exclusive.
Rooms and Equipment
- 235 rooms and suites, including:
• 182 rooms with a surface area ranging from 32 to 45 m2 - 12 communicating;
• 51 themed suites designed to give guests different experiences and emotions every time they visit Milan. There are five types: Executive, Signature, Design, Art and Atelier;
• The Gallia Suite covering 160 m2 on the 5th floor – two bedrooms – which is designed to be a sophisticated private abode with lavish finishing touches, embellished with Carrara marble, lacquered wood and leather. One of the key features of the suite is the gorgeous loggia with historic columns and statues with a view of the refurbished Central Station and the splendid piazza beside it;
• The Katara Suite covering 1000 m2 on the 7th floor – two terraces, four bedrooms and a private spa.
- Signature Bar & Restaurant: on the seventh floor – opening soon
- Gallia Bar & Restaurant: on the ground floor – a modern reinterpretation of the style of the '30s.
- Wine Cellar: a sophisticated cellar, ideal for an intimate lunch, an aperitif, or for cookery classes, it is available for small groups;
- Gallia Lounge & Bar: the bar and the lounge in front have a refined ambience where you can treat yourself to a few moments of relaxation, hold meetings, or work in complete privacy. Any hour of the day
- Cigar Room; one of the most glamorous!
- "Promenade": a charming covered walkway 100 metres long that joins the original entrance to the main entrance of the new edifice. Small windows line either side evoking the famous Via Montenapoleone;
- SPA covering more than 1000 m2 arranged over the sixth and seventh floors, featuring a laid-back setting flooded with natural light. A wide range of beauty and wellness rituals. The fitness area is equipped with the latest Artis machines from Technogym;
- Convention Centre: located on the ground floor in the new building: 12 function rooms with a total area of 1000 m2;
- 700 m2 foyer including a large ballroom that can accommodate up to 400 people:
- Multi-purpose hall - situated on the seventh floor under the hotel’s historic Cupola. This area is equipped with the latest audio-visual technology and retractable seating (allowing the hall to be easily transformed), and is a spectacular setting for parties and private events such as concerts, weddings and film screenings.