Why we like it
- It preserves the appearance and character of the hamlet unspoiled. Its little piazza, the heart of the resort, is wonderful at any hour, but especially in the morning, perfect for a relishing breakfast in the warm sun.
- It is a place where you can find refuge from the outside world. Nature is all-pervasive and all-conquering. Silence, broken only by birdsong, envelops the hamlet and, at times, exudes the atmosphere of days gone by, from when it was the old Monastery. All around lie green valleys and hills garlanded with vineyards, olive groves and woods.
- At the end of the day, let your mind and muscles relax as you float in total repose in the warm water pool with its high saline density: Aquae Monasterii, which overlooks the garden, basking in the sun as it sets behind the walls.
- A candlelit supper in the Contrada restaurant created by Gordon Ramsay is a memorable experience.
At 23 kilometres from Siena, in the splendid setting of one of the most beautiful landscapes in Italy, amid Chianti vineyards, rolling wheat fields and long rows of cypresses, stands Castel Monastero, a small medieval hamlet. Today, after expert and scrupulous refurbishment, it has become a sophisticated resort that proudly exhibits the traces of its past: in the 11th century it was a remote monastery, then it became a retreat for the aristocratic Chigi Saracini family. The soberness of the original structure contrasts with the warm cosy intimacy of the interior spaces, from the public areas to the rooms. Painstaking selection of natural materials and colours evoking nature. Stone walls and wooden ceiling beams are the background for furnishings with a bright, modern feel. Steel, mirror-polished surfaces and contemporary artworks are the hallmark elements. Patrons can choose from 74 rooms and suites, spread over the various buildings and distinguished by colours on the basis of the contrada they belong to. The most exacting guests will opt for Villa Lavanda. All the rooms pay tribute to the rustic and harmonious elegance of traditional Tuscan dwellings. The service is top-notch and discreet, and the welcome is warm; an authentic Tuscany Style experience to enjoy in total freedom.
The Palio of Siena.
Rooms and Equipment
-74 rooms of various types and suites. A Villa.
- Villa Lavanda: a magnificent 18th-century country house surrounded by an immense garden and a prosperous vineyard producing Chianti.
- Royal Suite: the elegance of the furnishings and the materials exalts the history and the taste of the territory’s traditions. Regal spaciousness, divided between bedroom and lounge, in a striking setting.
- Executive Suite: a splendid apartment, which is also ideal for four people. The windows offer a gorgeous view over the fields, the vineyards and the piazza of Castel Monastero.
- Junior Suite: a marvellous bolthole, where every detail shines with rustic Tuscan style.
- Prestige Room: a haven of absolute refinement, featuring a bedroom and small lounge. There is room for three guests, with the addition of a third bed or cot. - Deluxe Room: charm and relaxation, ideal for a couple, with the possibility of adding a cot. With dazzling Tuscan sobriety, the furnishings and the materials consciously envelop the spaces.
- “Contrada”, gourmet restaurant designed by Gordon Ramsay. A rustic setting but with a modern slant.
- “La Cantina”, Tuscan restaurant in the hamlet’s Twelfth-century cellar. Though a tad more select, the atmosphere is that of a laid-back family restaurant. Barrels from the 1600s, vaulted ceilings, exposed brickwork and original stone floors set the tone. During the summer it is possible to dine in the garden adjacent to the independent entrance.
- 1 bar with outdoor terrace.
- Concierge Service - WIFI in all the bedrooms and public areas.
- Babysitting Service upon request.
- Church (consecrated for religious services).
- Banquet Hall.
- SPA, 8 treatment rooms, water wellness zone with two pools, sauna, Turkish bath and emotional showers.
- Aquae Monasterii Pool: an exquisite blend of salts and trace elements. Thanks to the high concentration of magnesium chloride, which has unique therapeutic properties (and provides elevated saline density), it allows the body to float naturally in total muscular relaxation.
- 3 outdoor pools that seem almost to form a waterfall.
- Fitness area with cardio-fitness equipment.
- Yoga sessions.
- "Detox" and "Weight-loss" programmes with the personalized consultation of nutrition guru, professor Giorgio Calabrese.
- Tennis court.
- Bicycle rental.